6.23.2010

Dervish at the Dell…

abbey road 2It was an ambitious labor of love come to fruition before a full house for the season opener at Dogwood Dell’s venerable Festival of the Arts.  Fearlessly tackling the Beatles’ landmark album Abbey Road arranged for big band, peter & samson Samson Trinh brought his years-in-the-making musical homage to life with his potent Upper East Side Big Band and guest vocalists Adrian Duke, Allyson Mills and Chris Mills.  It’s hard to imagine anyone having a better time as Samson (seen above pre-show with Style Weekly jazz critic Peter McElhinney) directed, danced and generally delighted in sharing a stage-full of coordinated talent with the enthusiastic crowd.  It’ll be fun to find out what’s next for this wound-up musical wonder.

zappa 4 Frankly, I’ll never be able to catch up with the well-versed Zappa denizens who gathered at Lewis Ginter last week for the Dweezil-led romp through the strange but sonically magic world created by his prolific father. The Mothers of Invention were aptly named as we learned while marveling at the complex but ultimately listenable tunes and the rolling flow of engaging lyrics delivered by young Ben Thomas.  The result was the epiphany that I’d really missed something back a few decades ago when I was all into folk and Motown.  Charlie, you tried to tell me.  Now I understand.  Amazing show and so nice to be back at beautiful Lewis Ginter to smell the roses and hear great music.

arlo web In another compelling example of a son keeping a father’s flame burning, don’t miss Woody Guthrie’s boy Arlo in what promises to be a very special  night at the Garden tomorrow, with Richmond’s own folk torchbearer George Turman opening with Billy Lux on bass…perfect.

 

tift

I think I’d love to hear from anyone who was part of the full house at AC&T last night for Carolina’s compact powerhouse Tift Merritt.  I so hated to miss it so I’m a little reluctant to hear how good a night it was…Kay Landry emailed me that it was ‘magical.’  And that says a lot coming from her.  ROMP-Header Anyway, too much to do to prepare for my current assignment that finds me doing my first airborne blog, winging from LaGuardia to Louisville at this moment.  I’m looking forward to my first R.O.M.P. in Owensboro this weekend where I’ll be emceeing Friday and billmonroe_v_e Saturday.  Maybe I’ll see some of you bluegrass loyalists out there.  And I’m excited to make my first pilgrimage to Bill Monroe’s hometown of Rosine tomorrow, and to walk Jerusalem Ridge and see where the “Father’s” remains rest.  It promises to put lots of things in perspective.

tommy web So not only am I missing Arlo with pal George at Ginter tomorrow, the great Tommy Emmanuel’s also in town Friday, fittingly at CenterStage in the beautifully restored Carpenter Theatre.  I just can’t overstate what a stunningly gifted guitarist and performer Tommy is and if you haven’t witnessed his artistry before in his many previous Richmond stops (remember the Vepco auditorium?) do yourself a favor and go.  It might be life-changing.  And I want to hear all about it…take good notes.

Notes from the banks of the Ohio to come….TT

(Arlo Guthrie, Tift Merritt, and Tommy Emmanuel photos from their Websites; Bill Monroe photo courtesy GAC-TV)

No comments: