12.31.2007

Done...

The long holiday hustle has kept me away from this keyboard for a while and now that we're in our last few hours of 2007, I want to belatedly wish you and those you care about the best of the season. I hope you found some warm moments and made some special memories...and that you didn't completely burn out on Christmas music or on the endless plays of Dan Fogelberg's "Auld Lang Syne." I lament his passing too but I resent now being tired of a seasonal selection that I used to really like. The Christmas season is much like the other four seasons to me...we really look forward to them but by the time they're over, we're really ready for the next one.

My last post on December 11th encouraged you to take in Adrienne Young's appearance at Ashland Coffee and Tea on the 13th. If you did, I hope you share our appreciation for this earnest and engaging singer/songwriter/human being. Her passion for this planet and its life forces shines through her music in such a compelling way and the current edition of her band Little Sadie, a touch under-rehearsed but instinctively solid, made the evening feel like a living room jam session rather than a perfectly-polished performance...which was just right somehow. There were some strong individual contributions, including a couple of great original tunes from guitarist Landon Fishburne. Adrienne's lastest CD "Room To Grow" was just named a top-5 album from singer-songwriters in The Nashville Scene, no small feat given the level of competition out there. I think a lot more folks will be hearing about this former MerleFest songwriting winner in the coming year.

I'd have to say my musical highlight of this 12th month has been savoring a preview of Jesse Harper's upcoming solo project. Old School Freight Train is still very much a band, judging by their 2008 tour schedule but Jesse, with encouragement and support from an A-list group of players just couldn't help but try his wings on some new air. There are some new takes on OSFT favorites like "Run", "Porch Swing" and "Let Me Go" along with some powerful new ballads like "Falling" and "Old And Broken." Jesse's playing and vocal style keep getting more confident and sophisticated and the almost George Martin-like arrangements on many of the cuts bring a more pop approach to things. All dozen tunes are originals, save for the gospel standard "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" and Sam Cooke's moving "Nothing Can Change This Love." Regarding the supporting cast...familiar names include former and current bandmates Ann Marie Calhoun and Darrell Muller, along with Daniel Clarke, Curtis Fye, Robby Sinclair, Zack Hickman and Colin Killilea. Word is Daniel submitted a few tracks from this project to land his gig with k.d. lang. Not sure when this baby will hit the streets, but it will surely be worth the wait.


By the way, the closest stop to here (so far) of the k.d. lang/Danny C roadshow is March 5th at UNC's Memorial Hall in Chapel Hill. Word to the wise..don't wait if you think you might want tickets.

Bringing home the notion that advancing age speeds up the clock, it's a bit scary to me that I've been doing this journal for just about a year now and as hard as it is sometimes to sit down and get started on a post, I'm so very grateful that so many of you take the time to read it and even find value in it. I hereby resolve to more consistent and comprehensive in the coming year, which I hope holds more meaningful musical moments for us all. Have a blessed 2008, and thanks to all the musicians who've enriched my life in 2007...TT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to write about music around town, Tim. One of my resolutions is to get out and hear more music! I have resubscribed to AC&T's email newsletter and look forward to seeing you around.

Happy 2008!
~Suzanne