5.21.2007

So much...

This post is gonna be tough to bang out as I've soaked up so much great talent since Thursday. Now that I've opened the door to this venture, I feel a certain obligation to give the performances I've had the privilege to witness their due, which is a challenge, both to my available time and my ability to properly put it into words. Here goes...

I will say that it's not my favorite local venue for live music, as elegant as it is. The Marble Hall at The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is like one cavernous shower, but a good time was had by all thanks to the first rate bar room chops of Brad Spivey and his bona fide Honky Tonk Experience. They proved they could successfully work any room, but next time we'll head for Shenanigans or Poe's Pub for a more appropriate setting. I love these guys. Always a treat to hear Mike Lucas' tasteful guitar work and Randy Cook's ever-growing command of the pedal steel. His graceful wife Bitty even took a few turns with the ladies' urban cowboy-of-choice for the evening, Craig McFarland.

I don't usually talk a lot of theater here but I have to hand out some serious accolades to the veterans at Theatre IV who wrapped up their month-long run of "The Wizard of Oz" last weekend at the Empire. Friend/actor/voice talent Cathy Shaffner told me last week how she was blown away by the caliber of the production and I'm so glad she encouraged me to squeeze it in for the Saturday matinee. My almost-21 daughter Emily somewhat reluctantly agreed to come along, but after all was said and done, she was so glad she did. We have such a rich vein of talent running through our theater community here and they pulled out all the stops for this one at every level; the production values including beautiful and elaborate sets, complete with flying witches and monkeys, a small but big sounding live orchestra, and amazing cast including 19-year-old Alia Bisharat as Dorothy who outsang Judy Garland and seemingly channeled her in the spoken parts. My old pal Gordon Bass made a convincingly sweet and bumbling Wizard and long-time colleague Jan Guarino not only devoured the airborn Wicked Witch role, but directed the whole darn thing as well...husband Bo Wilson smoothly juggled all the balls as stage manager. There must have been fifty some cast members including a bunch of adorable kids playing Munchkins...little Emily Zinsser stole my heart. A sincere salute to Bruce Miller and Phil Whiteway for all they've done with Theatre IV and the Barksdale over all these years. We're not worthy.

Saturday continued with a late afternoon of perfect chamber of commerce weather for the Canal Walk wrapup on Brown's Island. Richmond's own Taters enjoyed a career highlight kind of a gig opening for country's silver siren Emmylou Harris. Jim Wark...you rock! I'll confess to at least a little anticipatory ambivalence when I heard she was only toting two musicians to her Richmond show. But having heard her with Buddy Miller before, I should've known that he would be all she'd need to run off a ninety-minute string of songs that made her who she is today...profound tunes like "Easy From Now On," "Pancho & Lefty, " "One Of These Days," and "Wheels." And some of her haunting newer stuff too like "Can You Hear Me Now?" Miller proved again to be one of the most worthy in a long list of backup singers to stand to Emmy's right on stage, folks like Rodney Crowell, Ricky Skaggs, Barry Tashian, Sam Bush and Jon Randall. And more lately John Starling. Chris Donohue sealed the deal with sensitive acoustic and electric bass. It was overall a very sweet and mellow afternoon, something a little unusual when compared with the typical Brown's Island summer fare. Even the trains on the river trestle seemed to pass a little more quietly and reverently, in the presence of royalty.

Sunday afternoon at historic St. John's Church, I had the privilege of narrating a special performance by the Richmond Choral Society entitled "It Started In Jamestown." It's always moved me to hear a really good well-rehearsed choir and this seasoned group fills that bill and more, under the able guidance of Thom Williams. They went through an hour's worth of music selected to illustrate life in colonial America and the British influence on our culture. I got to stand in the pulpit in the very room where Patrick Henry made his courageous cry for liberty or death and offer some context for the music. What a thrill. Thanks to Thom and Jack Winn for the opportunity, to Dawn Desmond for my well-researched script and to the amazing Markus Compton on piano. I'm fortunate enough to hear Markus every week accompanying and leading our sanctuary choir at Hebron Church in Goochland County.

Groovin' In The Garden continues Thursday at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden with one of the hottest and most adventurous jazz ensembles in the nation Medeski, Martin & Wood. This NY-based trio has a huge and growing national following and they're sure to light up the night at Richmond's most beautiful outdoor venue. Homemade Bread will open. Tasty. Daniel Clarke and son Joe will disown me if I miss this one. www.richmondconcerts.net

We'll see you on the tracks in Ashland Friday for Old School Freight Train's semi-regular stop at what amounts to their home base. Haven't talked with any of the guys since Jesse Harper's solo gig last month, so I assume it'll be Pete, Nate, Darrell and Jesse along with Robby Sinclair on percussion. I'll let you know if I hear anything different.

Closer to home, here's a first alert to another wonderful night on different tracks, at the old Union Station on Broad Street, now the Science Museum of Virginia. On Saturday, June 16th the impossible-to-cubbyhole Waybacks from the West Coast will find their way back to Richmond for the 3rd Annual Music For Massey benefit for the Massey Cancer Center at the VCU. We've moved the show from the Canal Club to this wonderful outdoor venue (we can move indoors if it rains) and urge those who've never witnessed this fabulously entertaining and engaging group of musicians before to put the date on your calendars post haste. Get your tickets now at www.ticketstobuy.com Richmond's own lovably irascible Gary Gerloff will open. See you then...if not sooner.

As I sit writing this post, the task has been made all the more pleasurable thanks to a tip from my younger sister and musical compadre Vicki Burton in Southport, NC. She emailed me a few weeks ago about this online radio station called The Folk Alley, saying that now that she's found it, she's found a friend for life...all she'll ever need. Skeptical, I checked it out and I have to say I'm now a believer. If I had my own radio station, it would sound pretty much like Folk Alley...great mix of music, knowledgeable, low-key personalities, no commercials of any kind, and it's all free. It operates like a public radio station running on listener contributions and I'm about to make a good one. Check it out and let me know if you agree. www.folkalley.com

Enough...have a great week...TT

No comments: